Sunday, March 9, 2014: DST starts in USA and Canada
On Sunday, March 9, 2014, most of the United States, Canada, and Mexico's northern border cities will spring forward and start Daylight Saving Time (DST). Millions of people will turn their clocks 1 hour ahead from 2am (02:00) to 3am (03:00) local time. Parts of the U.S. and Canada do not have DST.
Clocks spring forward
Most Americans and Canadians set their clocks 1 hour forward on the second Sunday in March and move the clocks 1 hour back on the first Sunday in November each year.
Areas that follow DST will fall back to standard time at 2am (02:00) local time on Sunday, November 2, 2014.
Areas exempt from DST
While most U.S. states and territories use DST during part of the year, some areas will not follow the switch:
- American Samoa
- Puerto Rico
- The United States Virgin Islands
- Most of Arizona except the Navajo Nation Community
Areas that do not observe DST in Canada include:
- Some regions in Québec, east of 63° west longitude (e.g. Blanc-Sablon)
- Most of Saskatchewan
- Southampton Island
- Some areas in British Columbia (e.g. Creston)
Lawmakers in Florida recently proposed to keep the state on DST all-year-round, while bills have been promoted to stop Tennessee and Utah from adjusting clocks for DST. So far, no decisions have been finalized on these proposals.
Mexican border cities follow U.S.
Mexico’s northern border cities, like Juarez City (Ciudad Juárez), will follow the United States' DST schedule. However, most of Mexico, including the capital Mexico City, will set their clocks 1 hour forward on Sunday, April 6, 2014.
Other Countries starting DST on March 9, 2014
Some countries and territories will also start DST on the same date as the U.S. and Canada. Find out local times for the switch:
- Some areas in Greenland (e.g. Qaanaaq)
- Saint Pierre and Miquelon
- The Bahamas
- Turks and Caicos Islands
- Australia & New Zealand end DST on April 6, 2014
- Crimea to adopt Moscow Standard Time
- March 30, 2014: Europe starts Daylight Saving Time
- Chile Extends DST to April 27, 2014
- Turkey delays DST start by one day
More about Daylight Saving Time
- Time Zone News
- Daylight Saving Time
- List of countries that observe Daylight Saving Time in 2014
- Time Zone Abbreviations